Fall is in full swing here in Lancaster County. People from Manheim Township to Ephrata, Penn Manor to Conestoga Valley, are enjoying fall festivities and decorating their homes for the season. Perhaps just as important as enjoying the last outdoor weather of the year, the fairs and festivals, is preparing and caring for your home through the Autumn season. Below is a checklist of things to be sure to take care of around the house this season:
- Rake your leaves. Be sure to check your local municipality’s website for leaf collection schedules.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts (falling leaves can easily clog both gutters and downspouts and then block water flow).
- Care for trees and shrubs.
- Seal gaps where critters can enter. As the weather gets cooler critters will be looking for warm places to hide, be sure they cannot get into your home.
- Make any needed exterior repairs before winter hits.
- Stock up on winter supplies – shovels, ice melt, salt, etc.
- Check/change batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.