Whether you’re getting ready to sell your home, or just looking to spruce up a little for your own personal enjoyment, these curb appeal suggestions are all things you can do yourself in just an afternoon or a weekend.
If you are considering to sell, one important thing to note here is this: be sure to finish whatever curb appeal projects you start. Leaving projects unfinished can leave prospective home buyers with the impression that you’ve neglected other areas of your home (even when you haven’t).
- Power wash. If you don’t own your own power washer, you can rent one from most local hardware stores. Of course, you can also hire this job out to a professional. Power wash the exterior of your home, as well as any decks, patios, sidewalks, or walkways. This is sure to give your home an instant face lift, doesn’t take much time, and let’s be honest – it’s pretty fun too!
- Landscape the front of your home. We’ll admit, this sounds like a big one. But making smart choices and keeping things simple can keep this job in the easy category. Choose hearty plants that will cover large areas and return each year. After planting, lay some mulch or rock throughout flower beds.
- Paint your front door. A fresh coat of paint goes a long way in improving any space, and your front door is no different!
- Install new house numbers. There are such a wide variety of house numbers available now – and the numbers you choose can really help set the tone of your home. Consider replacing yours with something more modern or more in tune with your house’s decor. Bet you’ll be surprised at the difference!
- Get new exterior lights. So this may be something for a professional – in fact, please do call a licensed electrician if you haven’t replaced lighting before. However, replacing a few light fixtures usually will not break the bank, and updated fixtures can give your exterior a bright look that’s definitely worth the money spent.
- Put plants on your front porch. Potted plants can make a dramatic difference in your entry way. Get some nice planters that match your home’s overall look, and fill with a variety of bright and vibrant plants. Place on either side of your front door for maximum impact.
- Hang a wreath. Here’s a tip that’s incredibly simple and can make your home look 10 times more inviting. Get a wreath you love and hang it on your front door.
- Pick a new and welcoming doormat. All of your local home goods stores have a wide array of doormats to fit all tastes and budgets. Pick one that fits your style and welcomes guests to your home for a quick entryway upgrade.